Barnes Park, Sunderland
Barnes Park is the largest of Sunderland’s urban parks stretching just under two miles in length. It was first opened in August 1909.
One hundred years later in 2009, Barnes Park underwent a major regeneration closing to the public for almost two years before re-opening in May 2011.
A key part of the restoration programme focused around the lake area and Chris Brammall was commissioned by Sunderland City Council to design and build a bridge to link two footpaths across the lake.
The wide bridge sits low to the water to create a promenade feel. Chris’ design is inspired by the pattern forms and pulse effect depicting the heartbeat of Sunderland. The bridge is built in Corten steel which compliments the natural colour scheme and the park environment and landscape.
Design: Chris Brammall
Materials: Corten steel
Dimensions: 30m long x 2m wide
Back to Bridges Contact Us