Kendal is a popular market town in South Lakeland and is often referred to as the 'Gateway to the Lake District' being only 9 miles from Windermere and 30 miles from Keswick.
Chris was approached by Kendal Futures - the regeneration partnership for the town - to design and build a new entrance sign for a historic retail area within the town centre known as New Shambles Lane.
New Shambles Lane follows an ancient path, Watt Lane, which ran through property owned in the 18th Century by the Trustees of the Market Place Chapel. It became the New Shambles in 1804, when the property was redeveloped as 12 butchers’ shops. The Old Shambles, behind the Fleece Inn, was then abandoned.
There were no drains from any of the many slaughter houses around the Market place at that time amd although the owners paid two shillings and sixpence a week to have the lane cleaned, it soon became known as Stinking Lane.
The shop on the east corner of the lane with Finkle Street was built in 1838 as a Fire Station, with arched doorways for the three-pumped engines.
Chris' design makes historical reference to the site being home to 12 butchers' shops with the overhead signs featured as a traditional meat cleaver. The wall mounted signs used to display the names of the shops residing in the New Shambles today, has been built using traditional blacksmith techniques.
This project was funded by Kendal Futures